English Language Requirements
All of our course material is developed and delivered in the English language. This means in order to get the benefit of learning from our material you will need to be able to read and write the English language at an appropriate level.
Clear evidence of completion of a qualification at secondary or tertiary level with English as the language of instruction in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, The Republic of Ireland, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States, is required to be eligible for enrolment in Professional IQ College NZQA courses.
Where this is not the case, consideration will be given to students who have verifiable evidence of meeting the following criteria within the last 2 years.
Certificate or Diploma at Level 4
• IELTS test – a score of 5.5 (General or Academic) with no band score lower than 5.
• University of Cambridge ESOL examinations – FCE or FCE for Schools with a score of 162. No less than 154 in each skill.
• NZCEL – Level 3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic.
Certificate or Diploma at Level 5
• IELTS test – a score of 5.5 (Academic) with no band score lower than 5.
• University of Cambridge ESOL examinations - FCE or FCE for Schools with a score of 162. No less than 154 in each skills.
• NZCEL – Level 4 with the Academic endorsement.
Numeracy and Literacy Proficiency
You are required to have a minimum of:
· Literacy 10 credits at Level 2 or above including 5 credits for reading and 5 credits for writing or equivalent as outlined on the NZQA table for level 5 qualification
· Numeracy 10 credits at Level 1 or above - unit standards package of three numeracy unit standards (26623, 26626, 26627) all three required) or equivalent. Follow the link for more details
Previous primary and secondary study in English
If you can provide evidence that you attended a school where English was the language of instruction you may be eligible for enrolment at all levels of the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF). However you must have studied in a country that has a student visa approval rate of at least 80 per cent.
• if you completed all of your primary education and at least three years secondary education (the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 7 or years 9 to 13), or
• if you completed at least five years secondary education (the equivalent of New Zealand Forms 3 to 7 or years 9 to 13).
Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)
If you can provide evidence that you have gained a Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) you may be eligible for enrolment at all levels.
English language requirements: how can you prove you have the required level of English?
- If English is not your first language, you need to prove you have the minimum level of English for your Professional IQ College qualification.
- Professional IQ College does not accept responsibility if you fail courses because of a lack of competence in English.
2. Students with School, College or University qualifications gained outside NZ
Applying on the basis of a non-New Zealand or International qualification where English is a secondary language? Use your official results for one of the following tests or qualifications to meet the English language requirements. Results should not be older than 2 years.
IELTS – Academic
English as a second language student may be required to provide evidence of overall score IELTS 5.5 with no less than 5.5 in each module prior to enrolment and upon request.
TOEFL (Internet-based test) and Pearson Test of English (Academic) may also be accepted with the required score as per programme requirement.
English Proficiency Outcomes for International Students
Programme Level IELTS (Academic)
Certificate or Diploma at Level 5
Academic score of 5.5 with no band
lower than 5 in each module
Score of 46
(with a writing score of 20)
Please find more details on the link here
Qualifications taught and assessed in English speaking country
You can use the official results of an academic qualification completed in a country where English is the main language that:
- Must have been taught and assessed in English - evidence is required.
- Must be at an appropriate level.
Please contact Professional IQ College if you are an international student living in New Zealand want to enroll as an international student with the college.
If you have any questions about English language requirements contact us or check the NZQA website