Code of Practice – Overseas (International) Students

Professional IQ Collegeis a signatory to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

Professional IQ College can enrol international students who continue to live in their own country of residence whilst studying distance learning programmes at the College. However, we are not yet able to enrol international students who reside in New Zealand.  Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at www.nzqa.nz 

The Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students does not apply to the College’s activities relating to students whose study is based overseas.  

Overseas students will make their own independent arrangements with Immigration New Zealand 

Professional IQ College’s intention is to help educate overseas students to be able to work in the New Zealand financial services sector once they arrive in New Zealand as a resident.

For enrolment purposes NZQA has two classifications of students ‘Domestic’ and ‘International’ therefore anyone enrolling with the College needs to identify if they are either a Domestic or International student.  This means before applying you will need to consider which criteria you meet.

All overseas students will therefore be enrolled as international students whilst living overseas to complete their overseas study.

This is a legal requirement and vital to get right.

Are you an overseas/International student?

The Education Act 1989 (Act) defines an international student as “..at any time, means a person who is not then a domestic student.” Therefore, if you are not a domestic student under the Act and enrolling with Professional IQ College then you will be classified as being enrolled as an international student.

A domestic student is defined in the Act as “…at any time, means a person who is then;   

(a) a New Zealand citizen; or

(b) the holder of a residence class visa granted under the Immigration Act 2009 who satisfies the criteria (if any) prescribed by regulations made under subsection (4);or    

(c) a person of a class or description of persons required by the Minister, by notice in the Gazette, to be treated as if they are not international students.

You are an international student able to study overseas if you:

  • Do not meet the Domestic student criteria above
  • Are living overseas in your home country
  • Are 18 years of age or over

English Language Requirements for international Students

If English language is not your first language, you need to prove you have the minimum level of English for your study. Professional IQ College needs to assess your level of English to ensure you can succeed in your programme.

Professional IQ College can not accept responsibility if you fail courses because of a lack of competence in English.

Ways to prove you have the required level of English:

  • If you have attended a New Zealand Secondary School, you will need to supply the name of the last Secondary School you attended and state the highest New Zealand qualification you have achieved along with the year achieved.


  • If you have any School, College or University qualifications gained outside New Zealand and you are applying on the basis of a non-New Zealand qualification then you can use your official results for one of the tests or qualifications set out under the Terms and Conditions, English language proficiency (page 3) to meet the English language requirements. Results can be up to 2 years old.


  • If you are applying on the basis of having attended a non–New Zealand school in an English speaking country you will need to supply evidence of completion of all primary education and at least three years of secondary education. Completion of five years of secondary education at schools with English as the language of instruction.


© Copyright Professional IQ College Ltd. Private information collected for this website is governed by our Privacy Policy. Read our Terms & Conditions
Unit 4D, 2B William Pickering Drive, Rosedale, Auckland 0632

Powered by streamSWEET CMS