Crossley will highlight the key changes to the current privacy laws when
the Privacy Act 2020 come into force on 1 December 2020. This will
• Mandatory notification of privacy breaches to the Privacy Commissioner
• The application of the Act to personal information outside New Zealand (cloud computing)
• The ability of the Privacy Commissioner to issue compliance notices
• New criminal offences
• How long personal information should be retained for
• Using the Privacy Commission’s ‘Priv-o-matic’ on line tool to create a compliant privacy statement.
• Having a privacy breach response plan.